Things I Do to Stay Relevant in the Tech/Cybersecurity Industry

 I have been working in tech industry for more than 10 years and the past few years in Cybersecurity space. It's been a great journey so far. But tech and cybersecurity industries are like our galaxy. There are so many categories inside them and so much things to learn (this what excites me actually, everyday is learning day).


It's undeniable, the industry is so fast evolving everyday. There's always new innovations appear on the market. That's why, we, tech/cybersecurity workers, need to stay relevant as well. Here are few ways that I do to stay relevant in the fast-moving tech and cybersecurity industry.


1. Connect with people and follow relevant organisations/groups on LinkedIn

I got so much benefits from my circle on LinkedIn. I got to know about new vulnerabilities or new features update or relevant events from posts that my circle member posted or liked or shared. You'll be surprised by how information-rich your LinkedIn feed can be. 


2. Join relevant physical events and network with fellow professionals

I personally joined my professional body's local chapter and I've learned a lot from other experts. I got so much other opportunities as well which I wouldn't get if I never join the chapter, like hosting relevant events locally and regionally, both physically and virtually. And, it has expanded my network too, which I am grateful for. When I was affected by layoff last year, there were so many people reached out to me and extended their help.


3. Keep checking on job vacancies although you're not looking for a change

I always do this until now. Not only I get the glimpse of the salary market, but also what are the skills needed in the market for my current role or my next target role. This will help me to prepare on what skills to polish for the next 1-2 years time. By then, when I'm in the lookout for new job/opportunity, I know that I'm ready for my jump.


Hope my above two cents are useful for you. I'm interested to know what other ways you do to stay relevant in your industry. Feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Things I Do to Stay Relevant in the Tech/Cybersecurity Industry

 I have been working in tech industry for more than 10 years and the past few years in Cybersecurity space. It's been a great journey so...