My New Journey As Cloud Engineer

 Hi all, 


It’s been a long time since I post on this blog. So much things happened and professionally I’ve grown so much. So I decided to write again to share with you my exciting new journey as cloud engineer.

Some background story

I quitted my job as network engineer (cum project manager) in a bank after 6 years with them. For the past 2 years I’ve been interested with learning cloud technology, especially AWS. I took up course on my own expense and went to take my AWS Solutions Architect Associate certification exam. I was fortunate that my hardwork in studying intensely for few months paid off. I passed the exam! I thought with this I would be able to convince my boss to start taking a look at cloud adoption. Little did I know it’s tough for a small employee like me (I was only promoted to AVP that time) to make influence. For the last half a year I stayed there, there’s slowly progress in cloud adoption but it’s not fast enough. I couldn’t focus on the cloud area because I still need to give my 110% for my main tasks in network team. And it’s exhausting. So I decided it was time for me to move to another company and pursued what I want.


The journey starts

I found my current job through a friend recommmendation. The role is cloud operations engineer. I’ve been in this position for 8 months now and I didn’t regret my decision to move here. In the beginning, it was a steep learning process for me. In previous company I used to handle projects with not much dynamics as what I find here. I did a lot of project budget, plan, schedule and vendor selection last time. but now I do more troubleshooting and analyzing logs. My previous company was more on preserved Asian culture, while here it’s fast moving global culture. I was scared that I couldn’t fit in, but luckily I got help from some colleagues. Another good thing, I got to learn so many AWS features which are hard to come by.


I do believe the cloud technology will be the main focus for the next 5 years and as IT professional we need to always keep up. Now I’m preparing to renew my AWS Solutions Architect Associate certificate. And I noticed so much have changed (or new features have been added) from the materials from 2 years ago.


Wish me luck in my study and I’ll write more on how I prepare for the exam in another post!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Things I Do to Stay Relevant in the Tech/Cybersecurity Industry

 I have been working in tech industry for more than 10 years and the past few years in Cybersecurity space. It's been a great journey so...